The last days #10: The victorious power of the Spirit Is 59:16
We have seen how that the last days—both in their general and specific sense—are days of terrible things. The abounding apostasy and the final violent opposition of antichristianity to the cause of Christ will have a terrible impact on the people of God.
The last days are not all doom and gloom for the gospel cause. God has promised the work of His Spirit to His people which will sustain them to persevere and to triumph in glory at the end.
I THE LAST DAYS WILL BE THE AGE OF THE SPIRIT.
Cp Joel 2:28ff, Acts 2:14-21.
- Days of revelation. The promise of God is to communicate with His people. A new era of communion with God will begin. This ministry of the Spirit transcends all classes and age groups. Cp 1Pet 1:12.
- Days of universal gospel grace. With the outpouring of the Spirit is ushered in the gospel promise to whosoever will call…
- Special application to the nation of Israel. The last days begin and end with the Spirit of God doing a great work in Israel. The outpouring at Pentecost principally affected Jews. A similar work will again be seen in that nation at the very end of the age, Is 59:20, Zech 12:9.
II THE SPIRIT OF GOD WILL BE AT WAR WITH THE APOSTASY OF THE LAST DAYS.
- The enemy comes in like a flood. It is striking to see the focus on a single enemy personage. The overwhelming flood of all that is in opposition to God is concentrated in one man!
- The imagery of war. The language used of the Spirit ties in to the language used of Christ in v16-17. The Spirit of Christ works though His people to conduct this warfare.
- The Spirit’s presence and power continue with God’s people till the end of the age, v21. Cp Joel 2:25-30
III THE CAMPAIGN OF THE SPIRIT OF GOD ENDS IN VICTORY.
- Put him to flight… The defeat of the Antichrist involves the work of the Spirit. Cp Is 11:4—see Gen 1:2 for example of same Hebrew.
- The Redeemer shall come. This is how the battle waged by the Spirit against apostasy climaxes.