The coming of the Lord Jesus to reign on this earth for 1000 years will introduce tremendous change. There are many things that the Bible is silent on in relation to those years, but there are clear statements made that give some insight into that time.
I AN IMPORTANT DISTINCTION TO BE KEPT IN MIND.
The millennial earth is to be viewed distinct from the new heavens and new earth. That language is used to describe the eternal state that follows on from the millennial kingdom.
- Isaiah 65:17, 66:22.
- Revelation 21:1-8
- 2Peter 3:8-13
II CHANGES TO THE EARTH WILL BEGIN EVEN BEFORE THE SAVIOUR COMES.
Most renovation projects are preceded by a process of demolition. The final days of this presence age will see such a time. These actions by God relative to the fabric of the earth cannot merely be seen as destructive but as means to the end that will follow. Just as the flood, destructive and judicial in one sense, was the means of producing a renovated earth, purged from the ruinous impact of man’s sin, so the upheavals that precede the coming of Christ.
- Cp Heb 12:26-28, Hag 2:6-9.
- Rev 6:12-17, 8:5-12, 16:18-20
- Is 24:20-23.
III GENERALLY SPEAKING, THE EARTH WILL BE RESTORED TO PRE-FALL CONDITIONS.
- General statements to this effect. Cp Acts 3:21, Romans 8:19-23, Ps 96:10-13, 98:4-9, 1Chron 16:30-33
- The fruitfulness of the earth. Cp Amos 9:11-15, Is 35:1-10, Ezek 47:6-12—the same river of Joel 3:18, Ps 46:4, Rev 22:1.
- Impact on human life and activity. Cp Is 2:4, 65:17-25, Luke 20:35-36. Many specific questions may arise in this context but no answers are given. How will glorified saints engage in such ‘ordinary/material’ activities? Yet the Saviour in His resurrected body could interact with His disciples and eat and drink with them. Cp Luke 24:36-43. Saints in glorified bodies have been on earth among the unglorified before, Matt 17:3-4. Angels’ interaction with men on earth is also an illustration of this.
- Animal life. Is 11:5-9, Zech 14:20
- Exceptions. Cp Edom, Is 34:8-15; Babylon, Is 13:19-20, 14:23; Egypt, Zech 14:7-18, Joel 3:19
Other messages in this series can be seen here.