The inauguration of the millennial kingdom of Christ on earth has profound implications for the redeemed. For them, it will be the final aspect of the application of their redemption. It will be the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus towards which they have pressed.
I RESURRECTION AND GLORIFICATION.
- The first resurrection. Cp Rev 20:4-5, Dan 12:2. There are two distinct resurrections of mankind, separated by 1000 years. On occasion the Scriptures speak of the resurrection in a general way. Cp Acts 24:15. Yet these do not invalidate the more detailed teaching of two distinct events. The first resurrection occurs at Christ’s return.
- The resurrection of the righteous dead and the glorification of the living righteous. Cp 1Thess 4:15-18, 1Cor 15:23, 51-57, 1Jn 3:2, Is 25:8-9, 26:19, Job 19:25-27.
- Escorting Christ back to earth. Cp Matt 25:6. When the saints meet Christ in the air it is to escort Him to earth. The Scripture makes earth the setting for the events that follow His return.
II THE JUDGEMENT SEAT OF CHRIST.
Cp Matt 25:31ff.
- All the righteous and the living wicked appear before Him.
- Principal purpose. The assessment of the labours of His people is the main focus of this judgement. Cp 2Cor 5:10. The purpose is to assess for reward and not to determine fitness for heaven. This judgment is not examining our justification but our sanctification and service.
- This judgement determines the various roles of saints in the millennial kingdom. Cp Matt 25:34, Luke 19:15-19, 1Cor 6:1-3. The degree to which we have faithfully discharged our commission is reflected in the scope of rule given. Cp Luke 12:31-40. This future prospect of the saint is to stimulate us to service and holiness, 1Jn 3:3 etc.
III THE SAINTS WILL REIGN WITH CHRIST FOR 1000 YEARS ON EARTH.
- They reign with Him. Cp Rev 2:27 (Ps 2:9), 12:5, 19:15, Matt 19:28, 2Tim 2:11-12.
- They reign on this earth for the 1000 years. Cp Rev 5:10, 20:4.
Other messages in this series can be seen here.